Wednesday 5 February 2014

Process

 

Oh my goodness, what awful destructive weather we have been having, my heart, thoughts and prayer go out to those poor people who have been flooded out of their homes and those who have had their electricity cut off. I really hope that the weather starts to improve and that there is hope on the horizon.

A few things have been going on around here this past week or so, I have been beavering away at my simple comforting granny crochet square blanket and adding the grey surrounds and joining up 9 squares at a time. It's strange for me to only have one project on at the time, but it's been that kind of busy at work so far this year and I haven't had very much energy in the evenings and have had to recouperate at the weekends.

I really do enjoy this easy peasy kind of crochet and it's very relaxing when you don't have to think or count or increase/decrease stitches. It's been a perfect winter relaxing woolly kind of project and made me realise that's it's worth hanging in there for the long haul, the process being important rather that the instant gratification I have craved in the past with the end product.

Maybe this is me maturing into my woolly-ness? Enjoying the process rather than rushing to get to the finishing line?

Other than that we have been enjoying the joy of blossoms of the yellow kind, a sunny substitute if you like :o)

I have also started reading my February book for #theyearinbooks and am slowly getting into it. Alice has painted me a pretty bookmark and I am enjoying getting back into the habit of reading and turning pages before bed.

Alice has also been doing some wrapping of presents for one of her good friends who turned 13 on Monday and I was pleased to see that she is adopting some of my pressie wrapping methods.

Last, but not least I have been playing around with all the pretty sea glass pieces we found on the beach in Barcelona and up the coast in Spain last summer, I am hoping to make a little framed display of them and will show you soon.

So there we have it, funny little things that have been happening in my funny old life. How has this week been treating you? Have you been enjoying the process of making anything? I would love to know xox take care everyone and see you soon.

 

19 comments:

  1. Your crochet is looking lovely, I like the grey borders, how are you joining the squares Penny? I am interested to find out how different people "do" it. The sea glass is so pretty, the colours look just like the seaside to me, hope that you enjoy working out how to display them, and I look forward to seeing what you decide on! Hope you are having a good week and not too too busy at work. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The blankets looking wonderful and how lovely to fill the house with replacement sunshine bloom, with this awful weather. Looking forward to seeing what you make with the beautiful sea glass, have a great weekend
    Clare x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blanket is looking gorgeous Penny, the grey border is lovely. I adore sea glass too and we collected some on our holiday to Arran last year which I have displayed in no glass jar in the bathroom, makes me smile every time I look at it. Hope you have a lovely weekend.
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree, Penny, I am moving into that 'the process is more important than the finished object' bracket too - though it doesn't help when I actually HAVE to meet a deadline!
    How wonderful Alice is learning early how to make a lovely presentation - I am a rubbish wrapper, my OH is heaps better than I am. And loving that sea-glass, I've always wanted a collection, to make jewellery - if I ever got round to it! Lx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your grey border - the blanket is lovely. You can't beat granny squares crochet can you. :)
    I totally agree that it is the process I like best, rather than the finish - but maybe that's my way of accepting I get distracted along the way. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous blanket - please consider linking it up to the CAL on my blog? Just wonderful pops of colour, set off so well with the grey...and wow, your gal is clever with that gift wrap! Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh the grey border is gorgeous with all the pops of colour ... loving the daffodils and your sea glass ... my little ones spend hours searching for it on the beach ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your colourful crochet, I agree sometimes it's just fun to get lost in the process! :)
    V x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love sea glass, even though I live by the Gulf of Mexico we do not get sea glass here. Also love the crochet blanket.
    Hugs to you,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loving the blanket, particularly the grey border. I was certainly impressed with the wrapping.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the grey around your squares, it works so well against the colours....I like quick crochet projects, but nothing quite beats making a blanket, even if the end is further away....I am doing a blanket knowing it is going to take a year, but I think if you know right from the go something is longterm it isn't so frustrating. The yellow tulips are sunny, there seems little zing around at the moment with the continuous rain, we've just painted our dining room yellow, it really is cheery. Looking forward to seeing your sea glass make!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice blanket. Love the colours.

    Miep

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely squares! The grey join is so harmonious. I have also been indulging in a bit of stress-free crochet lately - nothing is quite as delightful as a good old granny!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hoo lovely lady. Your crochet is looking so lovely!!! I'm living the grey border, but if I'm honest I think I will always choose grey, what is it about this colour that I love so much. I must say that I'm really enjoying just working one project at a time, I find it a great deal more calming. Yes the weather has caused terribly havoc and I too feel for all those so badly affected. Very pretty wrapping, must warm your heart. Hope you have a relaxing weekend. Sending you much love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think I enjoy process more than product if truth be told, although something nice to wear or use at the end of it all is good too. That crochet looks fab :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think a bit of bright woollyness is exactly what we need in weather like this, although I really shouldn't complain as my house is still dry. It puts things into perspective doesn't it, like you think you're having a bad day and then you turn on the news... :-(

    ReplyDelete
  17. I know just what you mean about the process. I am learning that there is no rush - projects will be completed when they are completed (unless it's a gift) and I'm trying to stop racing to the deadlines. x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gosh, I must learn to crochet! Your blanket is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, sea glass, what a lovely collection! Gorgeous blanket, too. x

    ReplyDelete